Civil Litigation in Mississippi
Hicks & Bennett PLLC has an active and thriving legal practice with a convenient office location in Hattiesburg. We represent individual and business clients on complex matters of civil litigation in Mississippi.
Sample reported decisions
Our firm has a strong record of resolving our clients' cases in a manner that effectively suits their legal needs:
- Restaurant of Hattiesburg, LLC v. Hotel & Restaurant Supply, Inc., 84 So. 3d 32 (Miss. Ct. App. 2012). Court of Appeals ruled in client's favor and reversed judgment which pierced the corporate veil against a company shareholder.
- Bluewater Logistics, LLC v. Williford, 55 So. 3d 148 (Miss. 2011). Mississipp Supreme Court affirmed judgment for client in excess of $350,000 for shareholder ousted from close corporation.
- Shotlander v. Evergreen Lumber and Truss, Inc., No. 2010-M-01089-SCT (2010). Represented construction company in interlocutory appeal which affirmed finding of personal jurisdiction over out of state defendant.
- Roberson v. Mississippi Insurance Guaranty Association, No. 2010-TS-00286 (2010). Affirmed trial court's prefiling injunction in favor of Mississippi Insurance Guaranty Association against pro se litigant's abuse of process.
- F.E.B. Distributing Company, Inc. v. Boudreaux, 2009-IA-01537-SCT (2009). Represented defendant distributing company in an auto accident and successfully reversed trial court's grant of summary judgment on issue of liability.
- City of Laurel v. Williams, 21 So. 3d 1170 (Miss. 2009). Obtained decision in favor of client municipality against wrongful death beneficiaries when appellate court reversed and rendered trial court judgment and held police officers' actions did not rise to a level of reckless disregard.
- Hartel v. Pruett, 998 So. 2d 979 (2008). Won medical malpractice for defendant physician.
- Baggett Transportation Company v. Mississippi Ins. Guaranty Assn., 2006-CA-00679-Sct (2007). Won case for MIGA on issue of statutory guaranty coverage.
- Hudson v. Palmer, et al. 977 So.2d 369 (2007). Secured a 10-0 decision by the Mississippi Court of Appeals affirming the trial court's grant of summary judgment in favor of an automotive repair shop, the shop's insurer and the husband of the shop owner against the plaintiff, a customer of the automobile repair shop.
- Magnusen v. Pine Belt, 963 So. 2d 1279 (2007). Successfully defended the owner of Burger King franchise sued by a patron who was assaulted in restaurant parking lot.
- Aldridge v. West, 929 So. 2d 298 (2006). Successfully defended a municipality in a complex labor dispute.
- Bradley v. McAllister, 929 So. 2d 377 (2006). Successfully defended a police officer sued for alleged misconduct in making an arrest.
- Schepens v. City of Long Beach, 924 So. 2d 620 (2006). Successfully defended a municipality against claims by property owners who sued the city for personal injuries and damage to vehicles allegedly caused by the city's failure to maintain the road to the owner's property.
- Ogburn v. Wiggins, 919 So. 2d 85 (2005). Successfully defended a municipality and a police officer against allegations from a person injured in high speed pursuit.
- Estate of Baxter v. Shaw Associates, 797 So. 2d 396 (2001). Successfully prosecuted a breach of contract action arising out of personal guaranty.
- Kekko v. K&B Louisiana Corp., 716 So. 2d 682 (1998). Successfully defended an out-of-state corporation illegally hauled into Mississippi court without jurisdiction.